We're very proud of our Island Animal Shelter, founded in 1998 and located mid-Island at the Centennial Farm complex.
The Shelter houses both stray animals picked up by our Animal Control Officer, and those turned over by Grosse Ile residents at their residences.
This "no kill" Shelter is run by the Township and stewarded by T.A.I.L.S., a non-profit community Organization.
Pets are housed under the direction of the Animal Control Officer only - Shelter volunteers cannot accept animals.
New Shelter Open Hours
- Monday - Friday: 10-11 a.m.
- Thursday: 5-7 p.m.
- Saturday: 12-2 p.m.
Appointments are also available, please call 734-692-9688
- Adults over the age of 18 may adopt a pet;
- There is no charge to adopt from the shelter (except as noted below);
- There is a $25 fee for each adoption, payable in cash or by check (made out to "Grosse Ile Animal Shelter");
- If an animal has not been altered (spayed or neutered), State Law requires that a Spay/Neuter Contract be signed and a deposit of $25 be collected to assure compliance with the contract. The $25 deposit will be returned after proof is shown that the animal has been altered.
- New owners have 30 days to have the animal altered; kittens and puppies have 30 days after they reach six months old;
- If the contract is not honored, the new owner is subject to a $100 fine due to breech of contract.
If things don't work out with your new pet for any reason, we ask that you please return it to us.